Monday, August 15, 2016

Cam Newton Says "We're Beyond Race, As a Nation"


RadioOnFire.com - From his touchdown celebrations to his fashion sense, to the way he reacts to losing games, Cam Newton has been under heavy criticism for his most of his professional career. The quarterback position is usually occupied by Caucasian players like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning; so some say the criticism of Newton is because he's African-American. Newton himself has agreed with that assertion in the past but now he feels differently.
"It's not racism," Newton says when asked by GQ if football fans are racist towards him.  "Everybody's entitled to their own opinion."
So if it's not racism then what is it?
“I’ll let you be the judge. I don’t look at it like that. I look at it like some people have certain beliefs, and I have my own belief, and we can agree to disagree on certain things. But this is what makes sports so amazing, that we can start a discussion around a table, in the newspaper, in the magazines, that will get people’s attention. And that’s what sports does.”
Newton answer differed back in January when he said, "I'm an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven't seen nothing that they can compare me to."
This time around, his answer is contrary to that opinion.  "I don't want this to be about race because it's not," he says.  "It's not. Like, we're beyond that.  As a nation."
"I mean, you bring it to people’s attention. But after that, that’s it.”
Source: gq.com

No comments:

Post a Comment