Sunday, April 27, 2014

Jon "Bones" Jones Destroys Glover Teixeira At UFC 172 To Retain Title [Video/Pics]


Written by Matt Erickson For MMAJunkie
BALTIMORE – Diversity was the name of the game for Jon Jones, and he played it masterfully.
With perhaps the widest-ranging offensive attack of his title reign, Jones threw a little bit of everything in Glover Teixeira‘s direction for five rounds, and consistently stayed just out of range of the challenger’s biggest punches en route to a dominant unanimous decision win.


Jones took a trio of 50-45 scores for the sweep and defended his light heavyweight title for the seventh straight time.
The 205-pound title fight headlined today’s UFC 172 event at Maryland’s Baltimore Arena. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.
Jones’ offense consisted of spinning kicks, axe kicks, wheel kicks, oblique kicks, straight elbows, spinning elbows, jumping knees, takedowns, jabs – you name it, Jones threw it. He ate a few strikes from Teixeira in the process, but never seemed to be in any danger. It was almost as if Jones was using the fight as a hard sparring session in the cruise-control win.


“A lot of it was improv. The game was to stick to takedowns and try to pick him apart from a distance,” Jones said. “I realized mid-fight that he was winding up on his punches, and you can’t wind up when someone’s right on top of you. So I switched the game plan up to go extremely short range, and it worked out great. I was a lot better hand fighter than he was. Glover Teixeira is someone that I respect dearly, and I thank him for the challenge.”


Midway through the round, Jones just missed a hooked kick to the head as Teixeira continued to throw bombs. Jones slammed Teixeira to the canvas after catching a kick, but the fight didn’t stay on the ground longer than a couple seconds. The most significant strike of the round came with a spinning back kick to the body from Jones, and that forced Teixeira to try to run him down with wild punches.


“He kicked me in the right shoulder, and I have to check it out. And I might have a broken rib,” Teixeira said. “This guy, he’s tough. He took my best shots. He took my left hook three or four times and he kept coming back. He’s a great champion. I did my strategy – try to push him and hit him with hooks. But he kept the lights on and he beat me at my best.”
Jones (20-1 MMA, 14-1 UFC) won for the 11th straight time and eight straight time in a championship fight. He also set a UFC record with his 14th win at light heavyweight. Teixeira (22-3 MMA, 5-1 UFC) lost for the first time in more than nine years and had his 20-fight winning streak finally snapped.

Watch Jones post fight interview HERE
Follow

No comments:

Post a Comment