Monday, February 10, 2014

Is Football Ready For Its' 1st Openly Gay NFL Player ?

The 2013 season is over, but the NFL is still making headlines. On Sunday, 23-year old defensive end Michael Sam made an announcement that will more than likely make him the first openly gay player in the NFL. The University of Missouri player, who was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, told ESPN and the New York Times during an interview that he is openly gay.


He said this during an interview on Feb. 9, 2014.

"I am an openly, proud gay man. I understand how big this is. It's a big deal. No one has done this before. And it's kind of a nervous process, but I know what I want to be. I want to be a football player in the NFL."



I knew it was just a matter of time before someone in the NFL (draft) would have the courage to come out of the closet. Hopefully, whatever team selects him to join their ranks will treat him with respect.


Sam revealed his sexual orientation to his Missouri teammates last summer saying,

"I looked in (the team's) eyes, and they just started shaking their heads -- like, finally, he came out!"


 His team went on to have a 12-2 season. He is an effective player who would make a difference on several NFL teams, but is pro football ready for an openly gay player just yet? Even though I have never played in the NFL, I have played in the hood and I have interviewed several NFL players on my radio show. To call someone a gay slur is still very commonplace on the and off the field (locker rooms). 


The gay rights groups want to further their agenda, which in my opinion is all about acceptance. How well would this 'mussle' of the insult driven, man's-man game of football go? Players have to deal with new rules on both sides of the football every year, but this lesson in 2014 political correctness will definitely draw a line in the sand with some people. Some teams might be hesitant to draft Sam. He has a rough road ahead, and I wish him well. This talented played wants and deserves and opportunity but knows there will be doubts. 


The defensive end who is projected as a 3rd-5th round NFL draft pick summed things up well saying

"There will be negativity, negative reactions I just want to go to the team who drafts me, because that team knows about me, knows that I'm gay, and also knows that I work hard. That's the team I want to go to."


Diamond K is an media personality for YouStreamRadio, author of the book You Are Not The Father and writer of the Blog Your Business Network. Find out more about him here



No comments:

Post a Comment